Friday, May 9, 2008

My MOM


This week is Mother's Day and my mom's Birthday. In honor of her I thought I would write a little about her.


My mom had 10 children even after her doctor advised her that she probably shouldn't have any. My mom's heart was damaged from rheumatic fever. Doctors didn't know if her heart could take having children.


The risk didn't stop my mom from being a mother. She loved being pregnant and having children.


I am 9 of 10. There are 7 boys and 3 girls. I can't even imagine giving birth to 10 children or changing that many diapers. (Cloth diapers).


My Father was a school teacher and didn't make a lot of money. Things were tight for them I am sure. They grew a garden and lived a frugal life.


My mom would make these beautiful quilts to sell. They were shiny satin material and she would quilt a beautiful design on them. A lady in a bonnet. A temple.


I remember playing under many quilts when I was young. They were my little hut. I remember seeing my moms legs as I was hiding out in my hut. I could see one of her arms as she was quilting and using her hand as a guide.


I remember watching my mom shuck peas. She had a huge bowl in front of her and I would grab hand fulls of peas. I never remember her getting upset that I would eat what seemed like as many peas and as fast as she was shucking them.


I am so glad that I have those memories of my mom. I don't have too many memories of my mom. She died when I was 9 years old. It has been hard not having a mother.

I am grateful for the 9 years I had with her and for her love, example and the times where I have felt her in my life. Guiding and helping me.


I love you mom and can't wait until some day when we will meet again.











1 comments:

Kobi said...

That is so cute! You have a good memory. I can remember some stuff, but for the most part I have a very bad memory. I sometimes need to think about things I remember and think if they really happened to me or someone else I knew. I know pretty pathetic! I think you turned out awesome for only having your mother for 9 years.