Saturday, November 29, 2008

IMT Revealed and OutBack

My boys love OutBack. It is their place. They go to Outback every Priesthood session and every chance they get. With Aaron going to Mexico City Neil knew there wouldn't be any chance for Aaron to go to OutBack and it would be too sad to go with out him. So our family did a two year strike on OutBack. No OutBack for two years. 
I can't believe we made it!

Kinsey is not a fan of OutBack. They serve a lot of meat here. But she was such a great sport and she knew this night was a special night for our family-for Aaron.
This night was something that was two years in the making.

Aaron enjoying his favorite food in the world. Prime Rib-Seasoned and Seared.

We all enjoyed our food but we were all a little nervous and excited.
You see this night was the IMT reveal. IMT means I Miss Tyke.
(tyke or tykie is Aarons knick name).
We all missed Aaron so badly when he left on his mission. Having only three kids in a family and him being the only boy. It makes a huge difference when one is gone.
When Aaron first left we were all hurtin. Missing Aaron.
Aaron had a hard adjustment in the MTC and that made it hard for everyone.
Neil and Kinsey made up a saying. "I ain't gonna lie I'm HURTIN"
They said it all the time and would say I can't wait until Aaron gets home and we can say
"I ain't gonna lie I'm hurtin NO MORE"

Tonight was that night. And they shouted it out loud.

When Neil was missing Aaron and worrying about how Aaron was doing he came up with a plan. He decided he was going to take the pain of missing Aaron and turn it into energy into action. Neil is a man of no talk but action.
As Aaron would struggle and over come things. 
The MTC, the adjustment of a new culture and country, the language, companions who were difficult and didn't want to work, home sickness, all kinds of other sickness, dogs, etc.

Aaron grew in strength, Aaron grew in his testimony. He became a man. One who loved God.
Neil grew in pride and determination to show his son how proud he was of him.
To show him that good should be rewarded.

Neil started the Tyke fund or the IMT fund. It started with $60 he earned by bowling at McKinsey's work Christmas party. Neil continued this fund by doing everything imaginable. He substitute taught, he delivered cabinets, tried to sell cabinets, sold old bats, sold baseball cards, wrote articles for magazines or anyone who would pay him money. He started a business. He worked so so hard in the last two years. He was a man on a mission. His own mission.
He couldn't sit still he was so determined, so driven.

So this was his gift to his son. Aaron opened it and just look at that smile. Priceless.
I wish I could of had a shot of Neil's face. He was glowing.
The gift was a key. Notice the key chain it says IMT.
Neil covered with tape on the key so Aaron couldn't see what kind of vehicle it was.
Aaron had to go to the parking lot and push the button to find out what it was.

It was a Toyota Tacoma. Aaron's dream vehicle. He was shocked. To say the least.
Neil will be driving Aaron's old 1986 Nissan Truck and he couldn't be happier. It has no air conditioning and is older than Aaron is. But Neil wouldn't have it any other way.

I now have my own saying "What kind of man" That is what I say to Neil all the time. What kind of man would work so hard and be so willing to give it all to his son with pride. 
Most men would want the truck, especially if they had worked as hard as Neil. 
Not Neil.
He wanted to reward his son to reward the good that he has done.

It has been hard for Aaron to accept it. He keeps telling Neil no you deserve it not me and I can't let you drive my old truck, or why? He will tell people it's our family truck. He hasn't driven it around much. He didn't call his friends to brag or go show it off. It is too important too special. Aaron knows the meaning behind the truck and it really isn't about the truck. It is about the love of a father and a family who sacrificed to show our son, our brother how much we love him and how proud we are of him.

I made Neil keep a record, a diary of how he earned the money. 
Some entries are simple like I substituted today and earner $45 dollars or I wrote an article and got $100 dollars. This money was earned a dollar at a time and it was not easy. 
Neil gave this book to Aaron and I know that the book will mean as much or more to Aaron than the truck does.

This entry has been long. I just wanted to document it and write my feelings about it. I will never forget. I am full of emotion. I am full of pride for my son for serving an honorable mission. For enduring the hardships that he had at times. For growing into a man. A man of God who has learned what is most important in life. I am proud of my husband for being a man of integrity a man who does not think of himself first. He loves his family and he works so hard.

All I can say is "What kind of man"? I love you Neil. I am proud and
I know the hard work this was and I know how much it means to you.

6 comments:

Amber said...

Reading this made me cry! I know the trials you have gone through since Aaron has been gone and to see the man he has grown up to be is amazing! You are a lucky lucky person I hope you know that!

bestark said...

I know Neil earns a living as a writer but you have a gift too! You have an uncanny ability to convey emotion. I am so touched by the whole story. Neil is an amazing man and you are a such a wonderful woman...you are truly a match made it heaven for a very special purpose.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Your family is amazing. This story is incredible!

Sienna said...

Awesome post Jeannie. You can just feel the love through reading it.

Tricia said...

Wow. That was an amazing post to read. I love your writing, maybe your husband needs to watch out! :)

Kobi said...

Looks like you had fun at outback and the IMT fund was that the truck or did he just get the truck? It is a nice truck!!